March marks the beginning of tornado season in Georgia. Is your family prepared? Georgia has a very active and deadly tornado history but taking a few simple steps can save your loved ones.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR TORNADO SEASON:
- Have a disasters supply kit with 3 days of food and water.
- Know the warning signs of a tornado: dark and sometimes greenish sky, hail, low or rotating clouds, and a roaring sound.
- Have a weather radio. The power frequently goes out during storms so it is important to not rely on your t.v. for weather watches and warnings. Purchase a weather radio and keep a supply of batteries on hand.
- Know the safest place in your home to take shelter. A basement is best but if you don't have basement, go to an interior room with a central supporting wall and no windows.
- Regularly check your property for diseased trees and limbs that could easily fall during a storm.