FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS > VANDALISM QUESTIONS > What should I do if I have a vandalism at my home or business?
- Report the damage to the police as soon as possible. They will need to collect evidence and take photographs.
- Once the police have determined that your home is safe to enter, create a list for both the police and your insurance company of everything that is damaged or missing. Be sure to make a copy for yourself.
- Call for professional clean up help as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Use a shop vacuum to remove glass particles from carpet and upholstery.
- Remove any debris from carpet or interior walls.
- Scrape or blot carpets and furniture.
- Wash any egg or other residues from the building exterior using water.
- Do not clean up any of the mess until after the police tell you that it is okay to do so.
- Do not try to operate electrical appliances that appear to have been tampered with or damaged by the vandals.
- Do not attempt to clean up any chemical stains including ink or paint.
- Do not use traditional household cleansers on your upholstery, carpeting or other fabrics.
Last updated on May 3, 2011 by Champion